As we are still getting the house in order meals need to be quick and easy with as little preparation as possible mainly to save time so we can focus on getting everything sorted AND getting to bed before midnight!
Last night in particular I was exhausted as I think I am still a little jetlagged (in this last fortnight I have been in Bangkok, Dublin and Belfast) plus I have a 2 year old with a terrible cough that is struggling to sleep on a night (the night before I actually slept on her bedroom floor!).
So the kids were off to bed early – around 7pm – they had already eaten earlier at nursery / coming in from school. The husband was fitting more handles to the kitchen cupboards so I made a start on chucking something together with the various ingredients I had available and my spicy lentil soup was born.
I always buy packs of lentils with good intentions but never quite know what to do with them… so I did this which resulted in our first #MeatFreeMonday
- 1 Onion Chopped (I used a red onion)
- 1tbsp coconut oil (or olive)
- 1-2 tbsp. Thai Red Curry Paste
- 300g Red Lentils
- 1.5l vegetable stock
- 200ml coconut milk
- Fry the onion in the coconut oil until soft.
- Stir in the red curry paste – depending on how hot you want it – I went for 2 tbsp.
- Add the lentils and mix to coat in the paste.
- Pour over the vegetable stock and simmer for around 20 minutes until the lentils are tender.
- Add the coconut milk
- Take half of the soup and whizz with a blender to puree some of the lentils (if you prefer no lumps in your soup you could puree all of it).
This gives 4 generous servings
- 412 calories per serving
- Protein – 20.6g
- Fat – 16.1g (of which 12.8g saturates)
- Carbs – 48.7g (of which 22.9g dietary fibre
- Iron – 13%
It’s quite high up there where the calories are concerned but just look at the amount of protein you are getting from this dish!
Definitely a new fave in our household – the husband asked why I had never introduced him to lentils before!
- The Soup Kitchen (carbscoffeecake.wordpress.com)
- Red Lentil Curry (thescentoforanges.wordpress.com)
- Soup of the week: Coconut pumpkin cream soup (simplycalledfood.com)
- Easy lunch idea: Spicy lentil soup (kaichronicles.com)
- Red lentil soup (manatyerushalmi.wordpress.com)