Since I originally tested out this recipe back in November I have managed to perfect it and with the addition of a scoop of protein powder turned it into a healthy protein bar perfect for pre or post workout or as part of your breakfast!
I am a massive fan of Nakd bars – especially the Cashew Cookie variety! However, as I work from home it can be hard grabbing one of these especially as the local shops only stock the chocolate variety.
Nakd state they only contain two ingredients, how hard could it be?
The answer to that… not at all!
So all you need are some dates and some cashew nuts – you could perhaps substitute for peanuts although I haven’t tried this!
- 55g Chopped Dates
- 50g Cashew Nuts
- Few tablespoons of water if the mixture is too thick – add slowly one at a time and keep mixing.
- 1 Scoop of Protein Powder – I used The Protein Works Diet Whey in Banana
- Throw into a food processor. My Kenwood has a mill attachment that allows me to chop nuts easily so as I was only making a small quantity for testing purposes I decided to use this. My dates were dried so I was a little worried it wouldn’t work but as the Kenwood worked it’s magic I could see that the desired consistency was starting to take effect! If you are using protein powder add this too.
- Once all chopped up and it represents a doughy consistency scoop out and pop onto a chopping board that has been lined with cling film – you may find you need to add a little drop of water to help shape the dough. I did so make sure you do this whilst still in the mill a little at a time.
- Pat it down until it is rectangular in shape by placing some cling film on top – this prevents your hands getting covered! Additionally use a rolling pin to shape!
- Transfer across to some greaseproof paper and allow to dry out a little – this will make it easier to cut (I allowed mine to dry out overnight).
- You may need to flip over to allow the bottom to dry if you have needed to add water to the mixture so do this half way through!
- Slice into 5 and serve!
- Much quicker than heading to the shop though 🙂
- Delicious and nutritious! Enjoy!
If you want to purchase some Protein Powder I recommend The Protein Works Diet Whey Complex – don’t forget to use my referral code KC18322 in the registration form to get your free protein!
Without protein powder
- Calories 89
- Fat 4.7g (of which 0.9g saturates)
- Carbs 9g (of which 0.6g dietary fibre)
- Protein 2.4g
With protein powder
- Calories 110
- Fat 5.1g (of which 1.1g saturates)
- Carbs 9.9g (of which 0.6g dietary fibre)
- Protein 6.1g