So I’m into day 3 of my slow cooker challenge and I have to say I am really enjoying it.
I was up early this morning to have breakfast with the husband as we have been like ships passing in the night recently, so the early start gave me chance to get this dish prepped before the school run.
- 400g Chicken breast (I used Muscle Food Chicken breast as they aren’t pumped full of water – you may need to increase the weight if using supermarket bought)
- 4tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- Small Onion Chopped (I always use red just because I prefer them)
- 250ml Fresh Orange Juice (I used my Sage Juicer to get really fresh juice)
- 200g (approx. 2 carrots) cut into batons
- 15g (approve 1tsp) Corn Flour made into a paste
- 1/2 tsp Coconoil (or 1 tsp Olive Oil)
- 2 Garlic Cloves Crushed
- 4 tbsp. Honey
- Sprinkle of crushed chillies
- Additionally I added 30g Linwoods Ground Flaxseed, Sunflower, Pumpkin & Sesame Seeds
Literally put everything into the slow cooker – no pre-cooking required and pop the slow cooker on low for 6-7 hours.
I served with brown rice and an extra portion of veggies.
Although this was a really nice dish I didn’t get the taste of ‘sweet Asian’ that I was expecting. The sauce came out a little more like the one you get with Hunter’s Chicken. Perhaps next time I will add some lime juice and some palm sugar to sweeten up a little more.
Well you have the basics so go experiment!
p.s. The kids both ate it – I just gave them with a little less sauce
- Calories 265
- Fat 5.3g of which 1.3g saturates
- Carbs 30.3 of which 4.7g dietary fibre
- Protein 26.1g
- Vitamin A – 2.5%
- Vitamin C – 56.8%
- Calcium – 3.8%
- Iron – 3.8%
Additionally on Monday night I had a little baking session (I will sit down and relax one day!) using recipes from one of my favourite health and food bloggers Nic’s Nutrition. Cue a lovely little stash of Chocolate Protein Brownies and No Bake Peanut Butter Protein Balls to keep me on the straight and narrow and keep my sugar cravings at bay!