I was recently sent a BRITA Marella Filter Jug in order to get involved in BRITA’s ‘Better with BRITA’ Campaign which aims to promote using filtered water when cooking as opposed to just drinking.
Taste Tests on a leading panel of experts found that various vegetables all tasted better when cooked with BRITA and that salads appeared fresher and more vibrant when cleaned with BRITA water, because of this Lisa Faulkner is launching the ‘Better with BRITA’ campaign highlighting how she uses BRITA filtered water as an ingredient in cooking for the best tasting food and drink. For details of BRITA products go to www.brita.co.uk.
We are lucky that up in Yorkshire we have pretty decent tap water, but that isn’t the case in many parts of the country, however even with our lovely Yorkshire Water, BRITA further improves the taste and it’s great to have ice cold water to hand… believe me with this jug you will drink more water!
Now I already own a BRITA Marella Filter Jug, which I love and which has lead me to drink far more water than I used to do, so I am going to give one of you lucky readers the chance to win the one I was gifted… more on that later!
As part of the campaign Lisa has created a number of food and drink recipes, all of which look amazing, but first of all I tried the Potato & Kale Curry.
Sometimes, I just don’t fancy meat so it was great to see a veggie option which I could try and which I had all the ingredients for. I did however replace the New Potatoes with Sweet Potato or alternatively you could use Butternut Squash.
The recipe card gave quantities for serving 4 but I just made for the two of us.
Ingredients – Serves 2
- 1 Sweet Potato (150g)
- 1 Bag (206g) Sliced Curly Kale (This was much less than half the amount recommended on the recipe car but I still felt this was too much so I would recommend you reduce)
- 1 Small Red Onion
- 1 tsp Chopped Ginger
- 2 Garlic Cloves Chopped
- 1 Red Chilli Chopped
- 1/2 Bunch coriander chopped – leave a few sprigs for decoration
- 1 Tin Coconut Milk (This is recommended for serving 4 but I felt we needed a full tin for the two of us, probably because there was so much Kale)
- Juice of Half a Lime
- 1/2 tsp Coconut Oil for frying (or any other oil)
- Cook the sweet potatoes, at the same time bring a separate pan of water to the boil ready for the Kale.
- In a separate pan heat the oil, add the chillies, onions, garlic and ginger and cook for 3-4 minutes stirring continuously.
- Add the Kale to the boiling water, once it returns to the boil remove from the pan.
- Add the cooked potatoes and kale to the rest of the mix and cook for a further 5 minutes
- Add the coconut milk and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped coriander and lime juice.
- Season and serve.
This can be served as a main or even a side dish although these quantities give a very good sized serving which will leave you full for only 304 calories!
It was pretty hot, however that could have been down to our chillies, so if you don’t like your dishes too spicy I would suggest halving the quantities.
Overall a great dish… perfect for when you have veggies to use up!
There are a variety of recipes supplied by Lisa, next one on my list is the Smokey Broccoli Salad!
So, moving on to the competition…
If you fancy being in with a chance of winning a BRITA Marella Filter Jug worth £21 in the latest colourway then all you have to do is comment on this post! Easy!
Re-Tweets & Facebook Shares will also gain you extra entries! So get sharing!
Competition closes Monday 26th August and is open to UK entrants only.
Alternatively, if you can’t wait or want to order other products from the BRITA range such as their jugs, taps and Fill&Go bottles enter UKFSV13 at the checkout for 25% off your order!
- Keeping Cool… without the calories (katrinacomingclean.wordpress.com)